|Page updated on:
20 September 2011
|They were erected at the Uitenhage workshops and, after trials in May 1920 on the
Avontuur line, two were placed in service on the Stuartstown ( Ixopo) branch line in
Sir William Hoy, General Manager, South African Railways & Harbours, in his report for
1921-22, recorded : “ The narrow gauge Garratt engines, placed in service on the
Stuartstown branch, are most economical and have reduced train mileage and
trainsmen’s hours. Their introduction has also effected a saving of one engine and train
A further order was placed for two similar locomotives, No’s 54 and 55, which were
supplied by Messrs. Beyer, Peacock & Co. These engines were fitted with superheater
boilers and piston valves.
They were erected in the Durban workshops during April, 1925. The total weight of the
engine in full working order was 48 tons 4 ¾ cwts.”
The locomotives were used mostly in Natal on the various branch lines.
NG/G 55 remained plinthed at Weenen, after the Estcourt to Weenen line’s closure,
and is at present at the local recreation club grounds.
It is intended that this locomotive will be restored to working order at Umgeni Steam
Railway’s Masons Mill locomotive depot.
It will thereafter be placed in service on the preserved Ixopo to Madonela branchline
being operated by Paton’s Country Narrow Gauge Railway.